A Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) is an intentional power outage caused by a utility provider to preserve life and public safety in areas that are at high risk for fires. It is becoming more common due to the increasing number of wildfires and other emergency events. A PSPS can last for days or even weeks.
If you live in an area prone to these types of outages, it is crucial to take steps to prepare for them so they have as little of an impact as possible.
Let’s discuss the emergency prep you need for your family and business during PSPS.
What causes Public Safety Power Shutoffs to happen?
No one wants to experience a power outage, especially during an emergency situation. Unfortunately, Public Safety Power Shutoffs are necessary to prevent fires from starting. Here's what you need to know about them.
One reason for Public Safety Power Shutoffs is emergency preparation. If there is a potential emergency, such as a wildfire, power companies may be forced to cut off power to prevent the fire from starting or spreading.
Another reason is disaster preparation. If a hurricane is approaching, power companies may shut off power to prevent damage to the electrical grid.
Lastly, power outages can occur for various reasons, such as severe weather or equipment failure. If you are concerned about Public Safety Power Shutoff, it is important to be prepared. You need to have emergency kits and create a plan on how you will stay safe and communicate with your loved ones if the power goes out.
How to prepare your business for a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS)
A Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) can happen with little notice. If you live in an area prone to outages, being prepared can make the difference between survival and disaster for your business. Check out the tips below to help prepare for an outage:
- Invest in a battery backup system. This will ensure that your business can stay up and running even if the power goes out.
- Have a plan for how you will communicate with your employees during a power outage. Ensure everyone knows who to contact and where to go if the power goes out.
- Create a backup plan for how you will keep your business running if the power is out for an extended period. It may include renting generators, investing in portable power stations, or making arrangements with another business to use its power.
How to prepare your home for a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS)
With power outages becoming more common, it's important to be ready. Here are tips to prepare your home for a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS):
- Invest in a battery backup system. A battery backup system will keep your lights and appliances running during a power outage.
- Charge your devices. If you’re aware of a planned outage, charge your phone, laptop, and other devices you may need during a power outage before the power is turned off.
- Stock up on food and water. During a power outage, you may not be able to access fresh food or clean water. Stocking up ahead of time will help you weather the storm.
- Prepare for medical needs. If you or someone in your household relies on power for medical needs, make sure to have a backup plan.
- Keep cash on hand. ATMs and credit card terminals will not be working during a power outage, so it's essential to have cash on hand.
- Stay cool. If it's hot outside, take measures to keep your home cool. During a power outage, you won't be able to rely on air conditioning.
- Stay warm. If it's cold outside, take measures to keep your home warm. During a power outage, you won't be able to rely on heaters.
- Beware of hazards. There is an increased risk of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning during a power outage. Be sure to be aware of these hazards and take precautions.
- Keep your family safe. Ensure your family's safety first, especially the elderly and other family members with medical needs. Have a plan in place in case of an emergency.
- Have fun. While power outages can be disruptive, they can also be an opportunity to spend time with family and friends. Embrace the power outage and make the most of it!
By following these tips, you can be prepared for any emergency. With concrete planning, a power outage doesn't have to be a disaster.
Benefits of Goal Zero home backup system when Public Safety Power Shutoffs occur
In the event of a Public Safety Power Shutoff, Goal Zero's home backup system can keep your home appliances and essential devices running. The system includes a portable power station, solar panel, and transfer switch If you need to evacuate. The system is easily portable, so you can take it with you.
The Goal Zero home backup system is a great way to keep your family safe and comfortable during Public Safety Power Shutoffs. Portable power stations and solar generators can provide power for essential items like lights, refrigerators, and medical devices. They can also keep your family connected with charging stations for phones and laptops. Goal Zero products are reliable, easy to use, and affordable.
Don't be caught in the dark during a power outage. Our home backup power system is reliable and functional until the power comes back on.
Keep your home powered up during Public Safety Power Shutoffs with Goal Zero.
Goal Zero’s specialty is providing power solutions for people who live off the grid or in areas where power outages are expected. We offer a wide range of products, including portable solar panels and generators, that can keep your home powered up during Public Safety Power Shutoffs.
Here’s why you should consider keeping your home powered up with Goal Zero during Public Safety Power Shutoff:
- Stay connected. Power outages can disrupt communication systems, making it difficult to stay in touch with loved ones or get emergency assistance. By having a backup power source, you can ensure that you’ll be able to stay connected even if the power goes out.
- Help you stay safe. Power outages can also disrupt safety systems, like security alarms and lighting. Having a backup power source will help keep your home safe and secure even when the power is out.
- Keep your food cool: Power outages can knock out a fridge or freezer, leaving you with shelves full of spoiled food. With a portable power station as backup, you can easily power your refrigerator or freezer through a blackout so you never have to let groceries go to waste.
If you want to learn more about the products we offer, or if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help you find the perfect power solution for your needs. Visit our website or give us a call today.