As technology advances and our dependence on electronic devices grows, the need for a reliable battery backup becomes increasingly essential. While most people think of using a portable power station as a battery backup as a last resort to keep their device running in the event of a power outage, there are many other ways to use this handy tool.
In fact, a portable power station can be an effective battery backup for your home or office. Here's how you can use one to your advantage.
Benefits of having a Portable Power Station as a Battery Backup
If you live in an area that is prone to natural disasters, you know the importance of being prepared. A portable power station can be a great addition to your emergency prep kit. Here are some of the benefits of having a portable power station as a battery backup:
- You will have a reliable source of power when the grid goes down.
- You can use your portable power station to charge your devices to stay connected even without power.
- A portable power station can also be used to run appliances so that you can have basic amenities even during a power outage.
- A portable power station is easy to transport, so you can take it if you need to evacuate.
Having a portable power station as part of your emergency preparedness kit can give you peace of mind knowing that you have a reliable power source when the grid goes down. Be sure to add one to your emergency kit today.
How to use a portable power station as a battery backup?
A portable power station can be a great battery backup solution in a power outage or emergency situation. Here are some tips on how to use a portable power station as a battery backup:
- Charge the portable power station ahead of time and keep it plugged into an outlet to keep it fully charged when an unexpected power outage happens.
- When the power goes out, unplug all appliances and devices from their outlets and plug them into the portable power station. Start with the most essential devices first, like your refrigerator and medical devices. Or ingrate the portable power station into your home circuits using the Goal Zero Yeti Home integration kit
- Be sure to place your portable power station in a safe, dry location
- Once the power is out, only use essential devices and appliances necessary. This will help conserve the charge on your portable power station.
- When the power comes back on, be sure to unplug all appliances and devices from the portable power station and return them to their original outlets. Or simply flip your home integration switch back to grid power.
Ways to charge your portable battery backup power station
In an emergency or disaster situation, it's crucial to have a Goal Zero portable battery backup power station on hand. But how do you charge such a device? Here are some ways to do it:
- Use a standard household outlet. This is the easiest and most common way to charge a portable battery backup power station. Just plug it into the wall and let it charge.
- Use a car charger. If you have a car charger for your portable battery backup power station, you can use it to charge the device while you're on the go. Simply plug it into your car's 12V outlet and let it charge.
- Use a solar panel. You can use a solar charger to power your portable battery backup power station if you access sunlight. This is an excellent option if you're outdoors and away from traditional power sources.
How to choose the right portable power station for your needs
One of the most important things you can have on hand is a Goal Zero portable power station when it comes to emergency preparedness. A good portable power station can mean the difference between being able to weather the storm or being left in the dark.
But with so many different portable power stations on the market, how do you know which one is right for you? Here are a few things to consider when choosing a portable power station:
- Capacity: How much power do you need? Portable power stations come in various sizes, from small units that can charge a couple of devices to larger units that can run appliances. Consider how much power and how long you'll need the power for, then choose a unit that can accompany you and your family if the power outage is extended.
- Ports: What kind of ports does the power station have? Some models have multiple USB ports, while others may have AC and DC ports.
- Run time: How long do you need your portable power station to run? Some units can only run for a few hours, while others can run for days. Consider how long you'll need your portable power station to run and choose accordingly.
- Portability: Do you need a portable power station that's easy to carry, or are you okay with something that's a bit larger and heavier? If you plan on using your portable power station for camping or other outdoor activities, portability will be an important factor. Make sure you choose one that will be easy to transport.
Stay connected and powered up no matter where you are
Portable power stations are a convenient way to have backup battery power when you need it. Not only are they great for emergencies, but they can also come in handy while on camping trips or during other outdoor activities.
If you’re looking for a battery backup that will serve you well in any situation, be sure to check out Goal Zero’s line of portable power stations. With models that range from small and compact to large and powerful ones, you won’t have to worry if the power goes out. Visit our website today to learn more about our products and how they can help you stay powered up no matter what comes your way.